What is NHSX?
NHSX is made up of teams from NHS Improvement, NHS England and the Department of Health & Social Care. This supergroup has been set up to take responsibility for the future shaping of digital and data technology across the NHS. They will introduce policies and technology that will be used across the whole of the NHS rather than the current silo culture which is currently in operation. NHSX will drive this revolution in digital transformation from planning through to delivery, setting policy along the way for everyone in the NHS to follow.
What is digital transformation?
“Digital transformation” has become somewhat of a buzzword in a number of industries and sectors, healthcare included, and refers to the innovative use of digital technology to solve traditional problems. These new, digital solutions should facilitate new avenues for innovation and creativity, rather than being limited to the mere enhancement or support of existing or traditional methods.
What has NHSX been tasked with doing?
The NHSX team is made up of experts in digital technology, cyber security and big data and their task officially begins from 1 July 2019. They will report directly to the Secretary of State and the Chief Executive of NHS England and NHS Improvement. The project will be funded by existing budgets.
NHSX will be tasked with the following:
- Developing best practice in technology being used by the NHS and setting policies to ensure these practices are adhered to.
- Delivering collaborative NHS systems which can easily communicate with one another.
- Ensuring full consideration is given to the end user, delivering clinical care which is patient focussed. This includes looking at NHS 111 online and digitising pharmacy.
- Working with industry experts to discover new technologies and explore those that would be best used in the NHS.
- Investigating currently used technology such as the NHS App to ensure it is being fully utilised before re-inventing the wheel.
- Refocussing on procurement to ensure that the framework is working and supporting what the NHSX is trying to achieve with this project.
- Implementing controls around spend to ensure budget is being best used for maximum effect.
- Setting national standard for the whole of the NHS to follow.
- Being ambassadors of digital transformation and leading all training required to make the new procedures and policies successful.
- Delivering website security in all applications.
The NHSX leadership team is made up of:Simon Eccles, Will Smart, Tara Donnelly and Geraint Lewis from NHS England and Katie Farrington, Tim Donohoe, Lorraine Jackson, Hannah Brown, Jen Coe and Iain O’Neil from the Department of Health and Social Care.
NHSX has a massive task on its hands but the task is critical if the NHS is to progress, improve and rationalise so that all NHS IT systems talk to one another. This is the challenge being set for NHSX and the task will not go away until it is properly addressed.
4C Strategies – Digital Transformation Consultants to the Healthcare Sector
Fully integrated communication packages are a complex area and one where technology experts should be consulted with before any decisions are made. Technologies and solutions change regularly and a team of professional and independent consultants such as 4C Strategies can help with this. 4C Strategies has over 20 years’ experience working with the healthcare sector and offers unified solutions to the healthcare industry, providing end-to-end support on ICT projects, by delivering a portfolio of consultancy services to meet client requirements. Please contact 4C Strategies on 01858 438938, or email email@example.com further information.